133 I’m back

In this episode, Lively yarn is tamed, and Abattoir is no longer offal (see what I did there?) through the magic of indigo; knitting that is no fun, but still totally worth it; and we bid a fond farewell to old friends, with audio from the Cast On archives.

Thank you, Amy Singer, for filling me in on the impact of 3D printing on the knitting world, including a 3D printed knitting machine; the Electric Eel Wheel and Electric Eel Wheel Facebook Group; and scientists knitting artery grafts on a circular knitting machine!

Cat Bordhi wearing Anemone Hat, with daughter, Jenny, and grandson, Charlie.

Read how Cat Bordhi’s innovation helped shaped our industry in the NYT obituary, as well this beautiful tribute by Clara Parks.

Read a tribute to Annie Modesitt here. (Rav)

(Cat Bordhi and Annie Modesett appeared together once before, albeit tangentially, in Cast On 77: Personal Best.)

I’ve ordered yarn to make Cat Bordhi’s amazing Anemone Hat (Rav). I’ll be thinking of her through the making of every twirly corkscrew, and I don’t mind if the hat takes a long time to knit. Cat’s mobius cast on tutorial is below.

Cat’s mobius cast on video now has over 1.1 million views!
Before
Soon to be a Dirty Martini, Abattoir is no longer offal.
Marin, by Ysolda Teague – You gotta want it bad.
Before
Lively yarn, tamed.
Thanks for listening!

Music: Merrigan’s Reel, by Jim Fidler; and Good Life, by Nicky Mehta

Thames Time and Tide Bell audio courtesy of the Time and Tide Bell Project.

about

I’m a serial maker of podcasts, and many things that are not podcasts. I love playing with yarn, fibre and cloth. I will never accept that furniture in my living room only goes two ways. Almost every night, I dream about houses.

it is good to be social

listen

17 Comments

1. 10.10.20
    Wyn Jones said:

Hi Knit-twin! I missed you!
    I did not make any sourdough during Covid, but I did learn how to make my own kimchi. I have also made five sweaters, a pair of Tardis socks, hot pads (out of odd balls of Noro), an illusion scarf with skulls, and a balaclava that is also a skull. (And probably a few more things I have forgotten.)
    I will be signing up for Patreon because I believe in supporting my favorite artists. You will join my list – Knitty, ‘Welcome to Night Vale’, and ‘Ask a Mortician’.
    Welcome back,
    Wyn

2. 10.10.20
    Wendy in CO said:

Oh, Brenda. It’s so good to hear your voice again. I hope you make as many new episodes as you want to make and I hope that you want to make a lot!
    ❤️ From Colorado.

3. 10.10.20
    Hilary Green said:

So good to hear your voice again, Brenda. I missed you.

4. 10.11.20
    AnnP said:

Brenda, how nice to have you back! No one has called me knit-sib for 6 years.
    I have not found myself knitting more during this pandemic. I have thrown myself more into gardening due to the physicality of it being a stress reliever.
    I’m so glad you have kept your intro music and closing ‘put on a sweater’ line. It makes the world seem normal again. Take care

5. 10.11.20
    Adrienne Martini said:

Heh. Dirty Martini.

😉

Welcome back, Brenda!

• 10.11.20
      Brenda said:

Obviously, you need to knit one.

6. 10.11.20
    Liisa said:

What a pleasure to hear you again, Brenda! Thank you for coming back. You made me sign up for my first Patreon commitment. Feels good. Liisa in MD

7. 10.11.20
    Marianne said:

Hi, iTunes can’t find your newest podcast episode. It seems that the link to the feed doesn’t work.
    I can see the episode in the shop, but when I try to update the podcast, I just get an exclamation mark:

• 10.11.20
      Brenda said:

I’m sorry about that, Marianne. That’s an old feed address. You must have subscribed just before I merged the new feed with the old. To fix the problem, try unsubscribing, and resubscribing to the feed.

8. 10.12.20
    Sam Robbins said:

I actually cried when when I heard the opening. I have missed your voice so very much. Welcome home!

9. 10.12.20
    Kate said:

Very moving. I have to tell you that when I went to the Wisconsin sheep and wool festival last year Briar Rose yarn was there. I immediately reacted to it by remarking to the owner that he was the company that had supported your podcast. Of course he knew this and he laughed and said I am always surprised that people remember this but several people always do every time we have a show. Of course I told him on much I loved her podcast and miss her voice. I got some beautiful handmade ceramic buttons to put on a gold cardigan And they are perfect. Modeknit yarn was also there and I was able to talk to Andy about her mother. Annie and I were somwhat acquainted through knitting events and I was aware of her situation. What a lovely woman.
    I was a rough and tough Critical care and emergency room nurse for many many years. I just stumbled in to retirement right as this covid lock down began. What should have been easy for someone like me has been very hard. Without the support of my knitting friends in zoom meetings and socially distanced Sundays sitting in a parking lot I think I would be insane. Thank you so much for putting this together. You were way ahead of your time and you should never have been putting it out there for nothing. I guess the world has finally caught up to Brenda DaYne.

10. 10.12.20
    Carine said:

Thank you for coming back. It’s so good to hear your voice ❤️

11. 10.12.20
    Susan said:

Wow. WOW. You’ve come home. Haven’t wanted to listen to podcasts since you went away, no one can hold a candle to you. What a gift to have you back! Any chance you might revive the Cast On retreats some day? When things start opening up safely? Sadly I missed my opportunity before you went on hiatus… I’ll be ready to pack my bag and hop on a plane to the UK at once!

12. 10.13.20
    Annette said:

I am soooo glad you’re back! You were the first podcast I listened to back in the day. 😊 I was so happy to hear the opening music, the “Knit, knit like wind” opener and your voice! I’m looking forward to future episodes. 🤸‍♀️👏👏👏

13. 10.18.20
    SUSAN D PRINCE said:

Soooo happy you’re back. I love hearing the open. And I’m happy to support you through Patreon (as a former public broadcaster, support from listeners just makes sense). Looking forward to your new podcast, too. Many thanks for rethinking your skills and vocation.

14. 10.21.20
    Kerry said:

I have discovered you through your relaunch and started listening to your back catalog from the beginning. All of the digs at George W. just feel so … quaint and almost nostalgic these days! You have an amazing voice, thank you for helping me through my days of supervising my kids learning from home.

• 10.22.20
      Brenda said:

Kerry, I think we all dream of the halcyon days of the mid 2000s, when all we had to worry about was security theater in our airports, and an illegal war. I’m glad you found the podcast!